Re: [DML] How to add a fuel pressure monitor

Re: [DML] How to add a fuel pressure monitor

At 7:20 PM -0400 10/7/01, Walter wrote:

I think it is a bad idea to use an electronic sending unit. Sure, it gives the advantage of being able to install a gauge in the cockpit, but this is really unnecessary. I'm planning on installing a liquid filled mechanical gauge in the engine compartment. If or when I really need to know the fuel pressure, I can just look in the engine compartment. I don't need to know the pressure while driving. Summitracing.com has a decent one in their catalogue that should do nicely.

Well, as I said, this is part of a larger project to build a comprehensive vehicle monitoring and informatics system. I don't actually intend to install a fuel pressure gauge as such in the cockpit (although there will probably be a way to view a graph of fuel pressure over time on a general display). The pressure will be continuously monitored (along with a lot of other vehicle parameters) automatically--hopefully detecting problems before they become serious. So in my case an electric sender is a necessity. A mechanical gauge would be cool too, though.

Do you think that there is an advantage by tapping off of the fuel
distributor rather than on the side of the control pressure regulator? They
both look to be about the same distance from mounting it to the firewall.

Toss up. Pressure's the same at both ends of the hose :-). Be careful, though: there are a bunch of different size banjo bolts in the fuel system. If I remember correctly, the CPR end of that hose is 10mm.

I think there is a market for putting together such a kit to save people the trouble of hunting down all the weird fittings. What do you think?

Sure. Go for it! I want a 10% royalty on all sales after the first million. :-)

I myself prefer to let Bob and Darryl and John and you (and all the others) slowly go broke helping the rest of us maintain and improve our beloved cars. Bless you all!

Cheers,

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703
--