Re: Fw: [DML] my attitude about DeLorean (long)

Re: Fw: [DML] my attitude about DeLorean (long)

I agree. Even after you read all the books and articles you can find
about the 3 DeLoreans (the man, the car, and the company), you still
won't be able to know everything that has happened. It will always be
an interesting read, and will always leave questions behind. There's
no murder, no death, no kidnappings, and no violence. But it will
always remain, in the business sense, one of the greatest mysteries
ever.

To be perfectly honest, I feel that the British Govt. is more
responsible for the birth of DMC, rather than it's demise. Yes they
should have provided the export financing, yes the Thatcher/General
Motors connection is all too convienent, and yes they could have
carried on with the company. But still, DMC as a whole (not just JZD)
could have pulled it off had they planed things better. Hind sight is
20/20 is so true in this case. In most cases, they could not have
known about what pitfalls the company would have encountered. And in
other cases, other options just were not there for them to see.

The best example is the DEA's entrapment of JZD. What if it never
happend? Chances are the company could have continued on. JZD just
needed $20 down to secure future grants & loans from the British. A
company in Washington DC had $10 to invest, and recently an article
was auctioned off on eBay that states yet another company had $20 to
invest! (an article from a Houston paper I believe) And if it wern't
for Christina, he could have gotten $5 million for the apartment in
NYC. But John snubbed these offers. Not because the drug deal was the
easy way out, but because he honestly believed at the time that if he
didn't coperate, his children and wife would be killed.

But, JZD and crew should have kept up more contact with the
companies' opertaions to have better guided it. JZD got a lot of
talent involved. Some were GM people who had been shelved or passed
over. Good strategy, but let's face it. Most still had that "Clear
Day" mentality when it came to their specific duties/operations. John
DeLorean should have put his foot down when it came to some things,
and on others someone else should have done the same for him. No one
wanted to upset a system that helped them, even though they knew it
was wrong. Sound familier?

In a word, DeLorean Motor Company was this big cookie jar that just
about everyone involved has their hands in. And when it failed, and
people wanted answers, JZD just happened to be the kid still chewing,
with crumbs on his shirt. But, that doesn't mean he ate the most
cookies! :)

The Bedminster Estate, and Logan MFG purchases were not the best
ideas. Either economicly, or PR wise. But they were not as big
contributing factors as one might expect. The company made some
mistakes, but it is my firm belief that on Oct. 20, 1982, it was
still self sufficent enough to have continued.

Here's an interesting insight on a rare subject about how JZD treated
the dealer network:

"We had planned a dealer get-together at LAX. It was supposed to be a
chance for the dealers to meet John DeLorean. The dealers were inside
waiting for him. "He arrived and was about to go inside when a guy
happened to pull up in a turbo-charged DeLorean. DeLorean went over
to get a closer look. He started talking to the guy. He ended up
spending the whole morning talking to him. Meanwhile, the DeLorean
dealers waited and waited. It was terrible."

Now this seems like a litle thing I know. But, you have to remember
that it those little things that add up. But on the flip-side, lets
not forget that C.R. "Dick" Brown was out in California claiming that
the DMC-12 should have his name on it. And that he was really the one
who was in charge of the company. This and the fact that JZD states
the price @ the QAC dropped by $2,000 per car in repairs after Brown
was fired. Not enough attention, and too many personal agendas added
up fast.

All in all, the company had a bright future ahead that no one could
have predicted. Lying ahead was Back to the Future, and a little know
DeLorean venture into "High-tech wellness systems". I can only
imagine this could have coupled the DeLorean to the fitness craze of
the 80's.

But aside from the British Govt, DeLorean also found hurdles to jump
right here in the good 'ol USA. After DMC collapsed, it seems that he
had a new plan. Buy back the cars and parts from Consolidated, and
start things over. He had reportedly 4 major investors to help him.
One got divorced, so he did have to back out. But around this time is
when he suddenly had to fight fraud and racketeering charges.
Fighting these court battles diverted his attention away from new car
plans, and drained his finacial resources.

So in the end, I guess it was a recepie that had a little bit of
everything, from everybody that contirbuted to the demise of the
company.

Today, I "Live the Dream" everyday. I purchased my DeLorean, and
never looked back. While things overall may not have turned out for
the company the way everyone wanted them to, I'm thankful that they
turned out at all. If I was able to choose one thing for my car to
have, just one thing. I know what it would be: That new car smell.
That's the only thing my car doesn't have, that I wish it did. To
open the door for the first time, pull the plastic off, and turn over
the engine on a car with "0" miles. But it's never too late. Perhaps
one day I'll have a D2 sitting in my garage. But then I guess the
problem would be choosing which one to drive! ;p

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham@xxxx> wrote:

> Andy / List,
>
> There are lots of books, myths, rumour and legends about the whole
DeLorean
> story.
> I am sure all of them have "truth" in there some where, they are
often
> contriductory and always give a different "spin" on events.
<SNIP>