Door Launcher Answers / Bob Zilla

Dear Nick,
You asked.........

I was wondering if there was any projected price on the door
> Launchers ?

Not just yet.
I've resisted the notion of attempting to price it till all the costs are in &
accounted for. Stay tuned, we'll have ALL the news soon. You'll be pleased.

The Launcher project has spanned nearly 3 years now. It has seen 3 distinct
> prototype incarnations. The main "Launch Control" unit is now ready for
> production. Thank GOD ! One finished unit appeared at the recent SEDOC
> show.

What remains right now?
Two things:
As you read this, some very unique wire is being custom made for this system
to visually match original wiring. When done, the installation will have
EVERY appearance of an OEM factory installed system ( Not an easy task ).

Secondly, custom solenoid brackets and interlinking controls are being made.
One for each door.

We've been as anxious to get this completed as you, but it's a complex system.
There have been many well intentioned ( but sad to say ) half baked / hack up
the car, systems over the years. Doing it right meant taking the time.
We're excited about it because it's fun & I'm pleased to see you are too.

Is there a "for sure" release date yet ?
We've got our fingers & toes crossed for 1 month.

Are > there any alterations that need to be done so they work effectively?

No modifications to ANY original wiring.
No tearing out the headliner.
No snaking ANY wires through the door hinge.
Everything plugs in to your original wiring. That was the goal.
If desired ( but I can't imagine why ) , It can be removed without a trace.

However,
the doors will have to be opened up.
While the installation of the solenoid assemblies is very straight
forward.....
Going into the doors is always a "job".

I would encourage anyone interested in this system to "save up" the door
repair projects and do it all at once. You know.... Window mech & motor /
Door lock Solenoids / Cleaning and adjusting bell crank switches / Adjusting
latch rods etc.
This way, if you get it all correct the first time, you won't have to go into
the doors for MANY MANY years, if at all.

ADDED WEIGHT & Door adjustment ?
This will likely be on a case by case basis.
Yes, you are adding a few pounds to each door so you would think you'd
certainly need to readjust your doors.
After installation, I would FIRST change the door struts BEFORE you adjust
the torsion bar. You may not want to touch the torsion bar at all, the jury's
still out here.
Personally, I was surprised to see how much of a difference Rob Grady's
struts made. It may become a matter of taste ie. how much "lift" you want
from your doors & how fast you want them to snap to attention. I prefer doors
that droop just a bit. This way I don't have to mussel them down EVERY time I
close the door. But, this doesn't seem to be the case with the Grady Struts.

LASTLY,
I know I'm going to kick myself for making mention of this early on but what
the heck
OK, it's out there on the edge but,
It is planned to add sound to this system. Really.
A small digital Sound / Voice unit will plug into the Launcher.
Small alarm style speaker under the car will add sound effects.
All launchers will facilitate this feature.
Wacky ? maybe.
The Coolest toy ? Definitely.

Best Regards
Bob Zilla