Re: Coolant Y- pipe problem

Well, I've had some experience with this. First off, DO NOT try to
pull it out with a screw extractor. I had a head break off of one of
my y-pipe bolts this spring. I knew it wasn't seiezed in the engine
block, (it was siezed on the y-pipe) so I yanked the y-pipe off and
proceeded to drill into the bolt. I then put a screw extractor in
there thinking it would simply screw out with this, I was dead
wrong. The remains of the bolt didn't want to turn this time, and
broke the screw extractor inside of it. Since this was made of
HARDENDED steel, it took me TWO MONTHS to eventually drill, grind,
swear, whatnot all the way through it. Once I finally got it out, I
just decided to re-tap the hole with the next larger thread size. I
was in a rush though. You may want to try a heli-coil or a thread
restorer kit (never used either one though). In any case, you are
going to need to drill out the bolts in the engine block. Good luck.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960