Re: [DML] Death of vin#1657 :(

Derrick,

my sincerest condolences to you on your loss. you are right - this is definitely the saddest letter i have ever read on email in my life.... just be thankful your car didn't catch fire with you or someone else in it....

in order to determine what could have caused the fire (which would be endless speculation w/o seeing the car anyway), we'd have to know if the car was running or not, where it was at, how long it had been running, what updates have you done to your electrical compartment, any symptoms or behaviors in the recent past, it would be best to know what part the fire started in (front, passenger compartment, engine area). there are many ways to start a fire and i don't think anyone on this list can tell you for sure. we can only speculate.

i would assume that you had some bad wiring in your electrical compartment. for instance, my fan-fail jumper had a poor connection in it causing the wiring to blow both fuses and begin to melt the fuse holders. if i had the windows all the way down and i had a strong air freshener, i might not have known i had a problem until it actually ignited. i was able to catch it while it was hot and smelling icky.

again - i'm really sorry to hear about your car. i would be devastated if my car burned to the ground too. feel free to email me any time!

Andy