Re: [DML] overheating

Mike and others:

today i made a new jumper out of 12 gauge wire and 20 amp fuses, then topped
off my coolant reservoir. i started the car and drove it around for a bit
and it does not seem to operate any differently than before. i got the
engine nice and warm and it's performance is unchanged. i then brought the
car into my local shop to have the cooling system pressure-checked. they
said it held pressure perfectly and the 'radiator cap' works fine also, so i
do not appear to have any cooling system leaks. i just checked my engine oil
- i changed my oil two weeks ago and it seems to be of a normal tint and i do
not smell anything odd in it. i know my thermostat is working because my
coolant lines to the radiator were hot last night when the overheating
happened. also, when i replaced my alternator two weeks ago, i checked out
the water pump pulley. i remember it turned easily, but it didn't spin like
a tire. there was more resistance, however it was not difficult to move and
it didn't vary in ease of turning as you turned it like a bad bearing might
feel.

how 'stiff' of a turn should the water pump be? should it spin if you put
your hand on it and throw it like the wheel of fortune (like a tire)? or
should it spin relatively easily as you turn it with your hand on it? i will
have to check it out again tomorrow after the fact.

Thanks for the help so far -
Andy

In a message dated 9/11/01 11:12:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
mike.griese@xxxx writes:

> Andy - It is possible you did some damage to your engine.
> Did your engine sound any different when you inspected the car?
> When a car overheats to this extent, it is likely because the
> waterpump failed or the thermostat failed closed. Check your
> oil for possible coolant contamination. This would indicate a
> warped head or blown head gasket. You should also get ahold of
> a coolant system pressure tester. This will help you locate the
> leak. It won't tell you anything about the waterpump or the
> thermostat. You can check the thermostat by removing it and
> dropping it into a pan of boiling water to see if it opens
> when it gets hot. About the only way to check the pump is to
> determine if the belt is still tight and that the pulley is
> still turning. Remove the belt and try to spin the pulley.
> If it moves freely, your pump is probably OK.

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102