From: DMCVegas@xxxx
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 5:16 PM
Subject: [DML] Failed Drive Belts.

So, here I am. 1½ of ownership, and I am now on my 3rd A/C belt, and
my 7th alternator belt! The first 6 belts were chewed by the fan
blades on the alternator. It looked like someone had bent them out
just far enough so they would slowly chew the belt. After a 3lb.
slegde hammer, and a 2' stick of re-bar, that issue is solved.

Now I have a new problem. Sunday when I got into my car, I hear an
awful screeching from the engine compartment. I stopped the engine,
and checked things out. My alternator belt had flipped on it's side.
I realize this could be poor tensioning. But, when I inspected the
belt (and the A/C since I had to remove it too), both belts were
hard. The A/C belt in particular was already cracked all over the
bottom. When I bent the belts backwards, both snapped instantly!

So, I have 2 questions:

1. My heat shield in front of my muffler is damaged a bit, and has
been perforated in a couple of places. Could this be extreme heat
that had dried out the belts?

2. Is belt dressing a good idea? I've heard that it can sometime dry
out belts and crack them prematurely. Since I drive in the heat
constantly, this is the last thing I want to do.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance!

-Robert