Re: Heat test

It's great that you are trying to come up with fixes for the Delorean
in alternative ways but your fixing something that isn't broke and
probably will cause more problems with it by relying on a driver to
remember to turn their fans back on when they come into city limits.
Hell most drivers forget to turn their headlights off or even on!
There are cars that have an auto electric fan if the temp in the
radiator itself increases to an unsafe temp. I have both a mechanical
fan and an electrical fan in my jeep. The electrical one has a Temp
sensor threaded into the radiator that monitors the temp in it to
make sure it never goes above a specified value. It also goes on and
cycles with the A/C compressor automatically. It's the initial
startup of the fan that draws the most current...not while it's
running. Run a more precise test, place a meter on the electrical
system and watch the current when the fans start up initially then
note where it drops down to after they are spinning. Now with he same
setup go for a drive at highway speed and watch the meter for current
draw. While you are at High way speed the air rushing through the
radiators and past the fans will be turning the fans thus reduce the
load on the electrical motors therefore there will be very little
current draw. Same holds true for a mechanical fan...that's why there
is a clutch mounted between the fan and the belt pulley because the
air at highway speeds (or faster) will always spin the fan faster
than the engine. If your saying that you are trying to extend the
brush life in the fans...won't matter since the fans will still turn
on or off at highway speeds.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Group, We all know what can happen when a car overheats and the De
> Lorean is no exception. I have always heard that if you get over
> about 35 to 40 MPH the cooling fans are no longer drawing air
because
> the out side air due to speed is forcing it's self thru the
radiator
> and cooling the water. At this point why have we got the fan's on
and
> drawing down the electrical system. Several have posted that they
> don't have a cooling problem while driving on the freeways or going
> some where if you don't have stop and go traffic. We'll today I
added
> a feature to my Fan Fix to turn off the fans while going somewhere
> that isn't start and stop and no heavy traffic. It's 88-92 degrees
in
<SNIP>
The moral is