Re: [DML] Heat test

I went though high temp problems with my car a few years ago. High speeds
didn't really bring the temp down to a comfortable level. When I pulled the
radiator to replace it with a triple core metal tanked one I discovered that
about 30% of the cooling fins were plugged with debris that had been picked
up over several years of cross country driving. The cooling fins in the AC
evaporator are spaced further apart than the radiators. Junk, bugs, weeds,
and so on, pass through the evaporator fins and lodge in the radiator. You
can't see this because of the evaporator and the fan shroud. The only way to
tell for sure is to pull the radiator. I always flushed the radiator from
the front side but that didn't seem to be enough. You really can't get a
good shot at it through the narrow front opening. I thought I'd mention this
as a possible reason for high temps if all else fails to solve the problem.
I really don't think switching the fans on and off manually is a viable
solution. If just sounds like an easy way to try to circumvent
fixing a problem cooling system.

Bruce Benson