R-12 -Vs- 134-a

Hello List,

I deiced to post this as there has been a lot of R-12 -Vs- 134-a
pertaining to the A/C. More specifically the cooling temp of the 2
gasses. I have however had my D's A/C running off R-12 and now 134-A.
I will say this the 134-A is every bit as cold as the R-12 if not
colder. In fact the 134-A blows so cold that I get condensation on
the out side of my front windshield (just above the air ducts on my
dash) up to 80F then it goes away. Also In the middle of the
afternoon in the 80F to 90F I have to turn my A/C fan speed down
because it get so cold in my car. The conversion I did was well worth
it and cost under $450. What I did to convert over to the 134-A from
the R-12 was as Follows.

1. Have the old R-12 and oil purged and captured by a A/C Shop. ( YOU
CAN NOT JUST LET IT GO)

2. Replace the old R-12 Fitting with the new 134-A fittings. (these
are located on top of your A/C Compressor)

3. Replace all of the old black R-12 O-rings with new green 134-A O-
Rings. (I got these from Grady's)

4. Replace the old condenser with a new one.( Your condenser is
located in front of your radiator. The new condenser has brass
fittings and are not as prone to stripping if you ever have to
disconnect the lines from it. Also it has 2 rows instead of the
standard one row. Again I got this from Grady's)

5. Replaced the accumalater/dryer. ( I got this from Grady's as well )

6. Made sure all the connection where tight, BUT NOT TOO TIGHT.

7. Had the system vacuumed down.

8. Charged the A/C with 2.2 LBS of 134-A (One of the cans I put in
had leak detecter in it. I did this because I thought If I ever have
a leak in the future it would make it a lot easier to find.

Well, that's it and that's what I have to say about the R-12 -Vs- 134-
A thing. I hope this help any of you contenplating the change over.
Again this is from my experience so I know it works great, at least
it does with my car.

Thanks And God Bless...
noflux@xxxx

82 DMC