RE: [DML] Looking for a project Delorean

RE: [DML] Looking for a project Delorean

Kieran - Not to put you off a DeLorean, but you may want to
consider starting with a more conventional car to learn
the ins and outs of automotive resoration. An older MG,
a Lotus Elan (the original one, not the M100), a Triumph, all
would be less expensive to get into, and, most importantly,
all have very active support clubs most everywhere that are
great resources for local assistance. Should you decide auto
mechanics are not for you, a ready market exists to pick
up on your project. That said, if you have your heart set on
a DeLorean, required documentation is the parts manual, the
service guide, and reprints of the service bulletins, all of
which are available from the usual parts vendors. You might
want to pick up How to Understand, Service and Modify Bosch
Fuel Injection & Engine Management by Charles O. Probst
(ISBN 0-8376-0300-5) or How to Tune and Modify Bosch Fuel
Injection by Ben Watson (ISBN 0-87938-570-7). Books on
automotive electrical systems, brake systems, and general
auto repair would be handy, also. I like Carroll Smith's
* to Win (Tune, Engineer, etc.) series of books for background
knowledge and philosophy, but they are more focused on auto
racing than resotration.

Mike