fans run continuously, strange wiring

Hi, everyone. First, let me just say that my DeLorean has run wonderfully
since I bought it. Being almost completely original, however, I had the
typical problem of the cooling fans cycling erratically thanks to the
original blue fan fail module -- which was not really an issue unless it was
hot and I was in heavy traffic.

Rewind to Saturday, when I drove my DeLorean in a parade. I had just
obtained a jumper to replace the blue fan fail module, but the rest of my
electrical system was stock. Since we were going to be moving at a crawl
during the parade, I thought it would be a good idea to run the AC (thus
forcing the fans to run continuously). This was apparently *not* a good
idea, though, because the constant load must have tripped the stock circuit
breaker and forced my fans to turn off (and stay off) about halfway through
the parade. The car wasn't moving much and the fans weren't running at all,
so the temperature skyrocketed and I had to leave the parade route before my
engine melted.

Fast-forward to this evening, when I replaced the stock circuit breakers
with their 40 amp and new 25 amp counterparts. I turned the key to test my
installation and now my fans run all the time. I didn't think to check the
otterstat until after I had left the place where I store my car, so I'll
have to give that a look tomorrow. The first thing that came to my mind at
the time was that perhaps I had installed the circuit breakers improperly,
but I know I took great care to reconnect all wires the same way they were
connected previously: 40 amp - black/orange to AUX, brown/orange to BAT; 25
amp - taped brown pair to AUX, other two brown wires to BAT. This, however,
is *not* what my wiring diagram shows as being correct! The diagram says I
should have brown/orange to BAT and brown/slate to AUX on the 40 amp
breaker. My electrical knowledge is severely limited, so can anyone tell me
what effect this might have? (Probably tough without looking at my car, I'm
sure.) Since I haven't noticed any major problems in the past, is it
possible the car left the factory this way and B/O wire was simply used in
place of N/S?

What harm might come from the fans running all the time? They would be
running all the time if I had my AC on anyway, so is it really a major
concern? Will the new 40 amp circuit breaker be able to handle the load?
Will my stock cooling fan relay burn up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov 81)