Re: fans run continuously, strange wiring

Re: fans run continuously, strange wiring

No matter how you mess up on replacing the circuit breakers you cannot
from there make the cooling fans run continuosly. With the A/C off,
key on, just remove one of the wires at the otterstadt switch and see
if the fans will stop. My guess is that the switch is just stuck on
from the high heat condition and age. When you replace the switch also
replace the seal and if the clip is missing order one of them too.
Refer to M:15:01. It doesn't matter which wire goes where (there are
only two). If you have an early car the switch is located on top. If
you aren't a stickler for authenticity cut the pipe, rotate it 180
degrees and order a new hose to the water pump. This is to prevent the
switch from sitting in an air bubble and not getting a good indication
of the coolant temperature. The jumper you used to replace the blue
relay is itself prone to failure. I have seen them melt. Your best bet
is a Fanzilla if you can afford it. It is really easy to install, it
just plugs in. If your car is COMPLETLY origional do something about
the lock module too before it causes problems. There are also relay
upgrades to consider so call a Delorean parts vender and discuss your
situation and they can advise you on what you should be replacing like
flushing the brakes, replacing the trailing arm bolts, clutch line,
alternater, etc.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757