Re: [DML] FULLY Converting to R-134a

Every once in a while, this thread comes up. Generally, there are several
replies about why you shouldn't change over. I have basically two problems
with the responses. (1) many of the replies do not answer the question
being asked, but instead quote reasons why you should not convert. (2)
many of the replies also state things like "I heard...", "you shouldn't do
this because the pressure...", etc - please base your answers on things you
know instead of things that you may not be aware of.

I have converted my system over to 134 and have not had any problems with
the pressure, no parts have broken, and although it may not cool as well as
the 12, I havn't had a complaint with the cooling yet ... 3 years running.
So, please do not answer the questions being asked unless you have an answer
to give. This is not directed toward anyone, but has simply been brewing
for some time now.

Hopefully, to answer any issues about making the conversion (and not about
doing it myself as I had Pep Boys do mine), if done properly, you should not
have any problems. Yes, if you allow the pressure to rocket, things will
break. Yes, the cooling effects are not as effective as the R-12. I cannot
say how much different, but I freeze my ass off when mine (R-134a) in the
mornings and evenings while when the sun is out at full burn (worst case
with no clouds, etc.), the 134 can just keep up with the dash heat radiation
meaning that it is only slightly comfortable, not "cold". I cannot tell you
of the difference in the coolness as I have not been in a D with R-12
working, so I have not had an opportunity to compare. I hope this helps
clear up some of the question dealing with the conversion from a first hand
witness.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345