Re: Brake squeal

The cause of the brake squeal will usually be from the pads moving
(as you are applying the brakes) and the steel back of the pad
rubbing against the steel piston (that's why the anti-squeal compound
is applied). To get rid of the squeal I would take the pads off, sand
the back of the pads (steel surface) down until all the old anti-
squeal compound and rust is off. Sand down very lightly the contact
area of the piston (where the pads sit on). Spray down the caliper
with Brake cleaner to get rid of all the break dust and any grease.
It is very important that the back of the pads and the piston seat
surface are CLEAN (at least as clean as possible) so that the
compound will adhere better. They sell anti-squeal shims (I believe
Rob Grady stocks them along with the other D vendors) and anti-rattle
springs...I suggest installing those. If you can't get them then
apply some high quality anti-squeal compound to the clean metal
surface (back) of each pad and follow the directions on the compound
(dry time, etc..).

Steve