Re: [DML] Trapped in a DeLorean?

When I first got my DeLorean I was trapped inside many times, and it had NOTHING
to do with the lock mechanism. It had to do with the fact that my doors often
closed out of alignment, making them jammed. They appeared to be closed
normally, but the latches were nowhere near the locking pins. Instead, the body
of the door was mashed between the front and rear locking pins.

When this happens it is very difficult to get out. Disconnecting the battery
does no good. The door handles and lock rockers have no effect. Only brute
force (or possibly a fast drive on a bumpy road) will get the door open. This
may take many strong men. At the same time, a door closed in this manner might
spring open at any moment, usually when you are cruising at 70 mph on the
freeway. This is a very frightening experience!

The original design of the gullwing doors was such that all DeLorean doors would
jam shut in this manner. It was very dangerous.

This was an awful problem for DMC. They solved it, though, when they invented
the door guides. All later DeLorean had door guides installed at the factory.
Earlier DeLoreans (like mine) can be easily retrofitted with proper door guides.

Because I had so many frightening experiences with my guideless doors, I look
for door guides on the cars at DeLorean events. I am happy to report that today
almost all DeLoreans have been fitted with proper door guides, but there are
still a few without them.

I did not appreciate it at the time, but when my DeLorean had no door guides it
was a death trap. Now that I have door guides my doors are safe and reliable.

If you are not sure whether your doors have guides or not, call your DMC parts
supplier or show up at any event with other DeLoreans and inspect their door
latch areas.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 8 years