Insult?

I was somewhat floored about 2 weeks ago when at a light, two young people
of a foreign nationality were in the lane next to me in a landscaping truck.
(they had a heavy accent, and for Diversity reasons, I will not state their
nationality...GO Corporate diversity training!) They were admiring the DMC
and nodded to me and rolled down the window to ask me a question.

The question being: "Is that a Mazda?"

I was actually felt offended/insulted by their statement....

Normally people know better then that...they know it is an exotic sports
car, but have never called it a Mazda!

Then, in the back of my mind, I could just tell these are the same kind of
kids who would trick out a $8k Dodge Neon with $10k worth of silly add ons
just for fun.

I corrected them by telling them it was a Delorean, and then went on my
way....still slightly insulted