hard driving

Hey all,

last night i was in my girlfriend's driveway waiting for her (of course..
heh) and i noticed a strange behavior from my car. it's an '82 VIN11596,
manual tranny. i was in neutral, idling at about 2000 rpm. i slowly pushed
down on the gas, revving it up, because my car just got back on the road and
it's kind of weird for me to hear the car run perfectly again! i just wanted
to hear it roar!! so i floored it quickly, up to about 6000 rpm, then let
off and let it back down. i thought i noticed one of my dash lights flicker
when it was up there so i tried it again. and again. and again. for some
reason my battery light turns on when i have the engine way up there in
RPM's. then my girlfriend came out and yelled at me (it was 11pm in a quiet
neighborhood). for some reason she didn't understand the importance of my
experiment!! :-) why is this light coming on? i have the newer 130 amp
alternator with my stereo on quietly and my headlights on. that's it. seems
kind of odd....

also, i was bored one night on the way home from work around 3 am and i was
at a light way out in the middle of nowhere. my car was nice and warmed up
so i got a wild thought in my head - i'm going to try to squak the tires!
i'd done it before on accident but i thought it would be cool if i could
learn how to do it whenever i felt like it (childish intentions). no matter
how stupid it sounds, i just thought i'd try it, what the hell. well i took
it from dead stop with it in 1st gear, and revved it to around 3000 rpm and
took my foot off the clutch while depressing the gas a little bit more. all
that did was make the car jerk like crazy until i behaved a little nicer with
the pedals. i also tried just stomping the gas and releasing the clutch at
the same time. either it sort of worked but not enough power, or it made the
car jerk very violently. after about 3 tries i gave up because i didn't want
to break anything. can someone explain to me what the jerking is that is
happening? i don't know much about manual transmissions (the D is the only
manual i've ever owned) and i'm just curious - i want to know it all!!!
please pardon my childish stupidity!!

later,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx