Paint removal

Hello all you DeLorean, before I get into my issue I wish to tell all who
contribute thank you, the discussions here are so very valuable and I have
learned tons about my DMC that I would never have known. So thank you. Now
on the issue.
I have just bought VIN 1118, (On Ebay for those that were apart of
that conversation). Apart from some minor upgrades it runs great. However
it is painted Red. The seller told me that the dealer painted it to move it
off the lot in the lot, and that it had no body damage. Naive as I am I
believed him. However when I took apart the door to get to the window motor
I made a discovery. You guessed it, Bondo in the holes from a dent puller.
I wanted to cry. I was planning on removing the paint and getting it back
to the stainless steal that we all love. I can't afford to buy another door
right now. The metal looks as though it would only be some slight dings to
it. In other words if I did remove the paint I don't think it would look
bad, (not great or even possibly good, but not bad). I also bought it as a
driver car. Not really for shows or as a true collector but as a head
turner.
What do you guys think? The way I see it I have really three
options,
1. Leave it Red, It looks nice but it isn't Stainless and I don't spend
money I don't have.
2. Strip the paint, Hope it still looks good, and leave it like that.
3. Strip the paint, buy a new door, have the total stainless appearance.
One other quick question and is more of a curiosity. How many DeLoreans
were produced?
Thank you all again.

Over and Out #1118

Jay Jones, CNA