Re: e-bay cars (was DMC Prices)

I essentially bought my car on eBay. I had been looking for quite
some time, and was interested in a particular car that I'd seen other
places (Hemmings, online classifieds, etc.) that was in Houston. This
was the most attractive feature of the car, since Houston is only a
2-3 hour drive (and wasn't underwater at the time, LOL). I later
found this "USADMC-something" company is Houston that could vouch for
the car, saying it was well worn (almost 100,000 miles) but otherwise
well cared for.

I noticed that every time I found a new listing for this car, the
price went down. It was listed in various places for weeks if not
months when it finally showed up on eBay...and got no bids. At that
point I could stand it no longer and called the guy and asked if he'd
take his minimum bid price of $12,500, and he agreed.

Was I happy? Darn tootin! I was thrilled to have a DMC! There were
a few things that bugged me, though, like the sellers assertion that
the windows had been intentionally disabled because his forearm hit
the switches while shifting. That may have been true, but it was also
true that one was off the track and both regulators were blown.
:-( There were other things, too, but most were either typical D
problems or storage-related.

I can't be too unhappy; I had USADMC fix just about everything that
needed it, and ended up spending somewhere around that magic $20k mark
total. All in all a good deal.

I don't think I would buy a second DMC from eBay unless I knew the
seller personally or could inspect the car prior to the sale (or
wanted a project car cheap, ha ha ha).

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
4695