Re: computer governor (should I be concerned?)

Re: computer governor (should I be concerned?)

You asked a lot of questions but they all relate to the health of an
automatic trans with about 40k miles. Here is what I recomend. Inspect
the fluid level and condition with the dipstick. Smell the fluid and
observe the color. Feel it between your fingers. If it is not burnt
and no small bits in it adjust the level. For the final drive you must
lift the car and remove a level plug on the side. It really is not
necessary to change it just make sure that it is level with the plug
hole. If it is shifting well there really isn't much to do except
check the line pressure and adjust if needed, check the shift computer
cable adjustment, and the linkage adjustment. If you are real
ambitious you could remove the trans pan, clean it out and clean or
replace the filter. You really can't change the trans fluid because
most of it stays inside it and the torque converter. The shift
computer may eventually go bad but even a 20 year old NOS computer
will funtion better than on that has been in service. It can be
changed without pulling the trans or even dropping the fluid. They
do't seem to fail totaly at first. You will notice weird shifting like
unexpected 3-2 downshifts. Some people are of the opinion that
jump-starting the car makes a difference but I suspect that is not so
much the case as usually when you hook up the cables the ignition on
the dead car is off so the power and surge doesn't get to the shift
computer. IMHO the major problems are the caps, moisture, and the bad
solder joints all of which can be repaired.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dmc12@xxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I own Vin# 5462 in the UK and it is an automatic, I constantly hear
> of the Computer Governor going wrong. My car is at almost 40K miles
> and seems to be perfectly fine, I have jump started the car a few
> times but not recently and this has also been said to cause
premature
> malfunction.
>
> Is it worth having the governor changed just for reassurance sake?
do