: Re: A one off factory Delorean W/a SS frame (Was Delorean galvanized f

: Re: A one off factory Delorean W/a SS frame (Was Delorean galvanized frames/

The reason DMC went with the VIRM process was because the ERM had not
yet been tested in an automotive application for crash testing. VIRM
by Lotus on the other hand had. Another thing was the chassis. The
double Y design for the Esprit gave the car more ridgedness in the
center section (I beleive Lotus was also the entity that reccomended
this, but I can't remember why). So this too was adapted for the
DeLorean design. After these 2 major items were swtich over to Lotus,
the suspension, interior and other items followed with a snowball
effect.

On a related subject, the licence plate bezel on the back of the car
is made utilizing the ERM process. On my car the ERM is kind of
brittle and flaking. Plus it has already cracked from one of the
scews that hold it in place. Maybe there would have been another
process to it for the underbody, I don't know. But I do feel a bit
safer with the VIRM.

"Hindsight is 20/20" is an old saying. If any one statement could sum
up DeLorean Motor Company, this would be it. Without ERM DMC may
never have had a unique enough concept to pitch to investors. But
without VIRM who knows if the DMC-12 could have passed crash testing,
or may have had production problems. In either case what JZD, DMC, or
anyone else could have done will always be debatable. IMO, CTC should
have licenced out the ERM process to other companies and taken a
percentage. That along with decreased spending on the DMC-80 and
Logan Mfg, this could have generated enough captiol to keep the
company afloat. Or better yet maybe even develop DMC's own credit
corporation to finance customer vehicle purchases and leases (the
asset holdings alone for vehicles would have made the company profile
wealthier). But like with everything else, who knows...

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "CBL302" <CBL302@xxxx> wrote:

> : "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham@xxxx> Wrote:
<SNIP>
Stuck with his original plans with the ERM process(Elastic Reservoir
Molding)Developed by Composite Technology Corporation(another
Delorean Company),NOW that would have been a major breakthru in
Frame/body design/engineering.
<SNIP>