Re: Automatic transmission

Refer to Workshop Manual G:04:01. At the bottom of the page is a chart
that explains what the shift computer does. Get the test light set-up
installed so you can watch the solenoids energize and compare to the
chart. If EL2 is always powered (sticking you in second gear) then the
switching transistor has probably shorted. In extreme cases after the
caps blow up sometimes the transistors go too. The erratic shifting is
a combination of moisture, bad solder joints and blown caps.
Unfortunatly we do not have a schematic of the shift computer. If you
find one of the transistors shorted my advice would be to replace both
of them since you are in there, they are cheap and the surge that
killed one probably damaged the other and it will soon fail.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)"