Re: Rust Problem.

Hi Robert,

For question 1: Check the front crumple tubes, the front shock
towers, in the gas tank area, rear shock towers, right below the
engine mounts and also the area where the Transmision is. You may
also want to remove the rubber plugs that are located in the rear of
the chassis on the opposite sides of the shock tower (on the sides of
the engine one on each side). Be careful removing the plugs as they
have a tendancy to fall in. Rust usually forms in that cavity. If
there is any rust in there...then you are going to need very long
screw drivers, needle nose pliers and a lot of patience to scrape all
the old flaking epoxy out of there.

For question 2: I had my entire chassis sandblasted and I painted the
entire thing using POR-15. You can paint over the rust but here is
what I would do:
1. Scrape back all the epoxy surrounding the rust until you start to
see "shiny" metal, then stop scraping. Rust can travel under the
epoxy so it won't do any good if the rust is still under the epoxy
when you paint it with POR-15.
2. Scrape/sand down all the loose rust.
3. POR-15 makes a product called "Metal ready". If you spray it onto
the affected area and let it sit for 15 minutes (or whatever the
bottle says) then hose it off, it's suppose to neutralize any rust
left, prep any new metal exposed and leave a zinc primer/coating on
the metal so that the POR-15 will adhere to it a lot better.
4. Paint the POR-15 on with a brush, try not to thin it out. It will
be very watery and a small can goes a long way. Make sure you pour
out only a little at a time into a disposable container and use it
from that disposable container, seal the lid on the can ASAP. The
stuff dries with moisture/humidity so if you paint your chassis by
dipping the brush into the can it comes in and leaving the top off
too long, it will begin to harden. MAKE SURE you WEAR gloves and if
it's not to hot wear long sleeves! If it gets on your skin and you
don't wash it off ASAP, you will be wearing it for a few days. Also
paint in a well ventilated area and avoid breathing in the fumes. Use
disposable brushes, you don't want the hassle of washing out the
brushes, just throw them away. This stuff dries rock hard but it
remains very flexible. Brush it in thin coats, don't go over the same
area you just painted twice and apply at least 3 coats (wait for it
to dry to a tacky finish before applying the next coat). If you are
going to use the black POR-15, then you will want to top coat it with
some other paint. They say that the black is UV light sensitive and
turns a dull finish...it dosen't affect the paint itself just the
finish. If you use the Grey, then you won't have to top coat it. You
can get more info from www.por15.com or you can send me an email and
I'll try to help you out as best as I can.