Re: Coolant Change

Make sure to drain as much of the old coolant as possible and dispose
of properly. Flush the system several times and refill with a 50/50
mixture of a national brand of ethelyne glycol like Prestone. It
should say safe for aluminum. The national brands have additive
packages that prevent corrosion, lubricate the water pump, seal small
leaks, are anti-foaming, and resist evaporation. While doing this you
should consider replacing ALL of the hoses. Pressure test with plain
water before refilling with anti-freeze to verify that there are no
leaks. The system should hold 15 PSI for at least 15 min. Be sure to
bleed the air from the radiater and water pump. Do not overfill and
consider changing the header bottle to a metal one. There is also a
continuous bleeder kit available. Check and replace both belts and
maybe also the idler bearings. To make the cooling system completly
bulletproof upgrade the cooling fan circuit breaker and install a
Fanzilla. If you have money left over install a new radiater with
brass end tanks. Since you are interested in prolonging the life of
you Delorean don't forget to flush the brake and clutch systems with
DOT 4 Castrol GTLMA brake fluid! Remove the windshield washer bottle
and clean all of the crud out of that while you are at it. IMHO the
cooling system and associated electrical components is one of the
weakest areas in the Delorean but doing these things will make it MUCH
more reliable. Although the car has some simularities to volvos there
are many significant differences. Instead of looking for a volvo
dealer try to locate a shop that works on classic or antique cars.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, SGSKBM@xxxx wrote:
> I decided that it might be a good idea to change the coolant in my
> car as it has not been changed in the 16 months that I have owned it
> and maybe never! The car has 10,500 miles on it and it just seemed
> like a good idea.
>
> Anyway, I'm not located in an area where there is a service center
> close by and I really didn't want to do it myself as I really don't
> know what to do with the old stuff. Since the car is basically a
> Volvo derivative, engine wise, I went to a local Volvo repair
> center. They came out, stared at the car and told me that they do
> not work on four cylinder cars! I explained that it was a six and
> they asked me who did the modification and what kind of engine it
now