Re: fuel pump access

You are right, that lower access panel is what you need to take off
to get to the fuel pump. That black sealant is just black RTV
Sillicone. Unscrew the access screws, and pull the panel carefully,
opening up the seal as you go. Once it's off, clean the remaining
sealant off with a razor blade. You will then see the fuel pump
cover boot (hopefully) with two hoses coming out of the top. Loosen
the clamp around the outside of the boot, and pull it up a little
bit. You can then look down on the fuel pump. If it has a long
steel neck, accompanied by a flat hex nut on the top of it, then it
is most likely the built in check valve that is bad. I have heard it
is a common problem with that style fuel pump. If you see a "domed"
nut on top of it, then you have a newer style pump, with an external
check valve. Hope this helps!

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960