Re: Fuel Pressure Gauge

I think the first thing to determine is if it is a fuel or ignition
problem. Get some kind of tester on the ignition circuit, primary or
secondary and see if it stops when the engine quits. This could just
be a problem in the ignition resistor "run" circuit. Refer to M:18:03
in Workshop manual. Check the ignition switch, resistor, and wiring.
You are correct in that it would be helpful to observe the fuel
pressure at the time it stops but we can narrow down the
possibilities. If you believe the ignition to be operating at the time
it stops then hook up a meter or lite and watch the power to the fuel
pump to see if it stops first. If you see the fuel pump stop then go
through the electrical circuit that controls the pump. Since it does
start I think you will find it to be an electrical problem that is at
the root. Check the RPM relay, connections and wiring. A long shot is
that when they did the fuel tank work they kinked the fuel pick-up
hose.(You can never trust anyone's work if when they are done it is
WORSE then when it went in and then they start "guessing" and using
the "shotgun" approach. Diagnose in a logical sequence starting at a
good foundation of known parts or systems. This is what separates the
"mechanics" (read parts replacers) from an automotive technician.
Sometimes they guess lucky but most of the time it is very expensive
for the hapless owners when they replace a lot of good parts until
they accidently replace the faulty part. In some cases the parts were
never bad but in the act of replacing the part and reconnecting the
new part the dirty connection that caused the problem is made better.
Parts replacers take heed! Bad connections are common on a 20 year old
car.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757