Cold engine performance problem

My D seems to start OK but I have an interesting performance problem. When
I frist start the car it runs fine. After a mile or so it runs very bad
until the engine warms up. Typical examples:

1) At work I crank my car. I drive about a mile or so and come to a stop
sign. It runs fine out of the parking lot but when I get to the stop sign
and RPMs drop, so I can stop, it starts sputtering and may or may not stall
(even if it is out of gear and/or the clutch is depressed). It may or may
not start easily but it will definately run rough. When running like this,
depressing the accelerator usually does nothing until the engine temp rises
some. Once I get it started, I usually have to pull to the side of the road
until I can convince the engine to stay running.

2) When I leave my house, I usually can get to a major road a little quicker
than my stop above. When pulling onto the main road, it may run rough but I
usually get the RPMs up and then it runs fine the rest of the way to work.

Thanks for the assistance.

Ed Garbade (newbie)
VIN 10541

PS - My vote is for a tech site. The sites I have visited so far have
limited info and usually fail to give detailed examples. The usual posts
may identify what needs to be fixed but not how to do it or what the item
looks like (or where it is located). Of course I may not be looking at the
right sites so please feel free to tell me "where to go".

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: We're in the process of seeing if there might be an opportunity to combine resources to better address this need. Dave started doing something similar to this on the DMCNews web site, but with all his responsibilities ran out of steam.]

Special thanks to DMC Joe for the assist with my first test (master and
slave for clutch)!