Re: Removing frame from car...

I have also done a frame off restoration. If you are swapping out a
complete rolling chassis (all suspension parts are on the "new
chassis") and you are just going to install your engine along with
the fuel system, it will probably be a good weekend project. If you
are going to just swap a bare frame and have to transfer everything
from the old to new....that will take time. I figure a better part of
maybe 4 days or so for a DIY. It is not all that difficult to remove
the frame with the engine/tranny/fuel system intact. There are 12
bolts (if memory serves me correct) that hold the body to the
chassis. 2 are in the luggage compartment, 6 are in the car itself (2
are the actual bolts that mount the seat belt clip to the frame)
under the carpet just below the center console on either side and two
are in the engine compartment. You will them have to disconnect and
pull the battery cables from the body of the car along with
disconnecting the parking brake cables, Steering link, heater hoses
(the two that go to the heater core inside the passenger side),
Vacuum hose going to the Brake master cylinder booster, the two brake
lines going into the master cylinder, the one line going into the
master clutch cylinder, disconnect the front wire harness going to
the frame, disconnect all wires in the engine compartment going to
the engine, all ground wires in the engine compartment going from the
frame to the body and also in the front of the car, disconnect the
A/C line going to the accum (BE VERY CARFULL DOING THAT! Make sure
you have the system vacuumed out of all R-12 safely and that you take
great care removing the hose from the accum) and remove the shifter
boot along with the seal below it from inside the car. Once you have
done all that you can then lift the body off the frame as Nick did (I
did it differently when I removed it, but did it his way when I put
the frame back). As you lift the Body off the frame keep an eye out
for any stray wires or lines that you may have missed when
disconnecting everything. Once the body is in the air and the frame
will clear it, roll it on out. One bit of advice, I removed the front
wheels and laid the front end on a dolly. This brought the front of
the chassis down a little bit ( so you don't have to raise the body
to far for it to clear) and it also allowed better control (steering)
as you roll the chassis out. It made it allot easier to move the
front end around instead of kicking the front tires around to steer
it.
You can do all this by yourself but suggest that you have a friend or
two to help you out to have an extra set of eyes and for safety
reasons.

Steve Rubano