Re: A letter of thanks and a little more

Re: A letter of thanks and a little more

DON'T DO THAT!!!!! THAT IS WRONG!!!!!
Do not remove the battery leads with engine running. You can do a lot of
damage. A battery serves two purposes: 1) as a voltage regulator and 2) a
load for the alternator. Without the battery the alternator (regulator
inside it to be exact) will sense that there is no voltage from the battery,
meaning the battery is dead or there is a BIG load on the system. So it will
pump ALL it can from the alternator with nowhere to go (because there is no
load - battery). Also without the battery the regulator cannot adjust the
votage correctly. Because of that you can get 68 volts in the system... even
more. A healthy alternator is actually able to put about 80 volts out!!
Imagine what that will do to all the electronics in your car!! Radio, lambda
ECU, idle speed ECU and if your car happens to be automatic you'll have to
replace the transmission governor.
So, don't remove the battery leads with the engine running.
And people please don't tell others that this is a way to test your
alternator!!!

To whoever you are - sk1pper. Please make sure that you have acurate and
safe info before you post to the list.

BTW, why do we have moderators on this list? Guys, I'm sure you've heard all
the coments about this way of 'testing' a car. Please, please, please don't
pass posts like this to the list. Somebody might do a lot of damage to the
car destroying every electronics circuit in the car and in extreme
situations it can actually cause fire. Since all that power from the
alternator has nowhere to go it will dissipate as heat in wires and that can
lead to FIRE!!!

Let's hope we don't see posts like that anymore
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298 (for sale)
tomcio@xxxx