Re: [DML] A letter of thanks and a little more

Re: [DML] A letter of thanks and a little more

NO...this is the worst thing that you can do! You can damage your
alternator just by doing this. The alternator monitors the battery
voltage and adjusts itself accordingly. If the alternator
doesn't "see" the battery it will think it's dead and begin to put
out full power. Keep the battery off long enough and you can burn the
alternator out. This is why when you get a new alternator there is
always a sticker on it warning you to make sure your battery is fully
charged before installing the new alternator.

To test the alternator simply, just get a multimeter and put it on
the outputs of the alternator (while the engine is ideling). The
reading should read about 13-14 volts. For a more accurate test i
would bring the car to a mechanic with a load tester to test your
charging system. They will be able to pin point the problem.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "sk1pper" <sk1pper@xxxx> wrote:
> A sure way of testing the alternator is to start the car then
remove one of the battery leads (preferbally the positive), then test
the pos and neg for 12-17vDC. This will tell you if the alternator is
producing electricity. I had to change my alternator and all was ok
partly due to the old motorolla only producing 68vDC and the old
rusted nuts causing resistance shorting out the charge. If you need
to change the alternator, I have a list of part numbers that will get
you a straight replacement from your local parts store, OR if you are
like me, more power is always the way to go. I will have a new web
page up in about 2-3 days @ www.sk1pper.com that has pic of mine and
how i put a 140a alternator on.