Re:removing fuel pump

In a message dated 3/15/01 8:40:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, Soma576@xxxx
writes:

<< i think my problem with starting lies in my fuel pump. i opened my trunk
and
there's murky water inside the boot with all the connections underwater.....
hmm. :-(
can someone tell me if the pump is a gravity pull pump or how does it work?
can't seem to find anything about it in my workshop manual. if someone
could
point me as to where it is in there, or anything i should know about taking
my pump out, drop me a line. >>

This is a common problem. Water drains from the front of the windshield area
thru to the underside of the body where it dumps almost directly over the
fuel pump. Older prototypes had the fuel tank positioned amidship, in the
center spine. Maybe that's why the design flaw was overlooked.

You'd better park your D somewhere where you can leave it and work on it
easily for a few days. As you get into it, you'll no doubt need to order and
wait a day or two for parts. It's a Bosch electric powered pump, and two
styles are used in the D. If you replace the pump, be sure to get it from a
DeLorean supplier, as you should all your parts, if possible. Then you're
sure to have the right one. Pumps aren't cheap, no matter who you get them
from. It'd be a shame to get the superceded one because the guy at the parts
store said it would do.

NOTE: Any time you work on the fuel pump or fuel tank-
* DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO PREVENT SPARKS
* MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF VENTILATION - avoid excess fume
inhalation.
* WEAR APPROPRIATE FUEL RESISTANT GLOVES. Gasolene is nasty
stuff!

Here's how it's supposed to stay dry:
1. Be sure your fuel pump cover is pliable and in good condition. That's the
thing with the two hose openings.
2.Be sure the pump cover is positioned with the top convex (rounded upwards)
so water will roll off. It's easy to get it shoved in concave (like a
saucer) which could hold water.
3. The funnel shaped hose openings need to stick up like little volcanos, not
be shoved down where they might be below water level. Keep your top convex
and this is no problem.
4. The pump cover is a snug, almost difficult fit over the boot, (the part
that hangs into the tank.) The two pump wires need to be in the two grooves
in the boot to be fully leak resistant.
5. The cover must be snugly clamped in place by the appropriate large hose
clamp.
6. It's not in the original parts manual, but it was later suggested by the
company that a small hose clamp be installed on each "volcano" where a fuel
line exits the top of the pump cover.
7. It's also possible to fabricate a water deflector. There are plans in an
early DeLorean World magazine.
8. You don't need silicone or other sealers. The factory designated system
works. Water-in-boot problems are usually always pump cover problems.

This only tells you how to make it watertight. If you have to replace the
pump or clean the tank, you'll need more directions. I gave a quick run down
on that in an e-mail dated 2/13/01. If you can't find it in the archives let
me know, I'll send you a copy. I'd tell you that you can look it up in the
new, revised service manual, but it isn't done yet! The P & A Manual (Parts
Identification and Assembly Diagrams) will come out first, later this year if
on schedule. You'll see stuff you've never seen before!
Hope this helps!

Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project