Re: Re.Re.fixing sender unit

David, Your right. Maby my time and trouble isn't worth it. But I
have been asked by several people to come up with less expensive
products with out compromising quality. I like to fix things. I have
been doing it all my life, whether it be a part or a person. I have
alway's come up with fixes. My parents used to call me Mr.Fixit. The
pastor at church used to call me a balcony person. Alway's trying to
help someone else. Maby you, me and others have the money to pay for
all modifications as I can and do for The Fixes on the De Lorean, But
their are others who can't and have just as much of a passion for the
car without the pocket book or may be working on a budget. Maby I can
help them and make buck or not, who knows. But, I do own three cars
and there is a certain amount of things I have learned about the cars
in the past 4 years. Electrical seems to be my best area. You notice
I don't get involved in most engine talk and body talk. I check it to
the power and you, P.J.Grady, DMC Houston, DMC Joe and others are
very learned about the cars with years of experience. But, I don't
jump on on them because they came up with a different twist like I
get jumped on when I come up with a Fix that is less expensive and
works just as well. I analyze the problem and find out what made it
that way then Fix It. My 11004 sending unit has worked fine for the
20 years it's been in the car and the 4 years I've owned it, so
something has to be good about it. What made the others go bad,
mostly as I can tell from what i've seen is moisture. That get's back
to the care given to the car. You are constantily defending the
Zilla products that are good and I haven't said one bad thing about
them. I commend Bob in comming up with the product line and his
knowledge in engineering. I have said more than once and I will say
again I'm not an engineer but a good partsman with a different
approach that's less expensive. If I can't come up with a good
replacement, then i won't come out with it. But, I will tell you that
I bought a new fuel sending unit today off the shelf in a (metal
housing) that drops right into the tank and I think with a little
electrical modification will work. My cost to get this engineered
will be about $300.00 to $500.00 dollars not counting parts cost.
We'll see what happens. I also found a new RPM/fuel pump relay
improved version that Bosch has made for a simular application and
has had Zero failure by some of the mechanics as I'm told. We'll see.
Like I have said in the past,lord help the person who comes out with
a different fix and not approved by a few people on this chat group.
He or she had better be made of good stock or they won't hold up to
the criticism of a few. I think the way to get improvement is to
encourage and challenge people to come up with a better mouse trap.
I'm here to help also preserve the car and to have a better driving
experience.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, jtrealty@xxxx wrote:
> IMHO while you may be creative enough and stubborn enough and
clever
> enough to "repair" the fuel sending unit it is like fixing a Ducy
> alternater, sometimes it is better to replace. The origional sender
> unit is not well made and even when working is notoriously
> inaccurate.Your time would be better spent on improving some other
> area of the car, the sender unit problem is easily correctable now
> through the efforts of the Zilla line of products. If it seems too
> expensive for you just save up enough money till you can afford it
> (Your time must be worth something?)I dare say even with all of
your
> work it won't last long.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757 Yes, I have installed Tankzilla and am hapy with it.

[repeat quote from moderator snipped by moderator]