Re: [DML] Re: Lift it up question SAFELY

Re: [DML] Re: Lift it up question SAFELY

For my 2 cents and a slight scare:

I picked up the front of my DeLorean using a floor jack with a wood block
for padding. I sat the car down on a pair of heavy duty jack stands, both
adjusted to the same height. They were supporting the car on the clamps
that hold the sway bar bushings. I push the car slightly as usual to make
sure everything was solid, and it appeared to be. I crawl under the car
with a mechanics creeper and knock one of the jack stands loose. I thought,
"What the @#$%!"

Anyone have any explanations? Otherwise, the car seemed solidly supported
by just one stand in the front, but I wasn't taking any more chances. When
only picking up one side of the car, I always now try to have 3 points
holding it with the other side of the car supported by wheel chocks. I also
keep a cell phone on my belt.

I used to use a set of ramps several years ago, but quit because I had
trouble keeping them under the tires as I drove up on them. They tended to
scoot forward with the car and/or move to one side. They might make good
'jack stands' for under the tires, but I would never try driving up on them
anymore.

Sometimes when starting a cold engine, it is easy for something stuck under
a rear wheel -- a piece of cardboard, sheet metal, dry wall, plywood or
whatever -- to come flying out like an axe blade. For that reason, I'm not
fond of ramps or anything else under the tires except the floor. Also be
careful when putting things under a car tire to get a car unstuck from soft
ground.

Also a note about putting a car on concrete blocks -- A relative of mine was
killed doing this. It doesn't matter how you orient the blocks. Just
however you try to use them, don't use them to hold up a car.

Walt Tampa, FL