Re: [DML] Temporary Import of DMC to USA

Re: [DML] Temporary Import of DMC to USA

I have imported a few cars into the states as a military member so most of the rules do not apply to me. But I did do some quick research for you. Check out the following:
The following vehicles need not conform to emission or safety requirements but may NOT be sold in the U.S. and may require EPA and DOT declarations:

Those imported by nonresidents for personal use not exceeding one year. The vehicle must be exported at the end of that year-no exceptions or extensions.

Those belonging to members of foreign armed forces, foreign diplomatic personnel, and members of public international organizations on assignment in the U.S. for whom free entry has been authorized by the Department of State.

Those temporarily imported for research, demonstration, or competition, provided they are not licensed for use, or driven, on public roads. Parties responsible for such vehicles must submit proper documents-that is, forms EPA 3520-1 and DOT HS-7 to Customs at the time entry is made. Also, applicable written approvals from these agencies must be obtained in advance and presented to Customs along with these forms. Remember, the cost to return vehicles that have been refused prior approval can be very high and must be borne by the vehicle's owner(s).
I got the above at this web site:
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm#DOT
And this may help as well:
http://autopedia.com/Export/ImportExportRegs.html

The port of Long Beach in Ca. is the number one area for clearing customs and in the L.A. area so a quick trip up the highway if that is where you are going to get your car worked on.
Hope this helps!
Barry