Re: Radiator and Hose Removal

There are no secrets to replacing the hoses. The radiator should be
replaced with one with brass tanks. The best advice is to call a
Delorean vender and get the cooling system master kit which consists
of all of the hoses, clamps, bleeder screw, water pump, intake
gaskets, and "o" rings. Be careful removing the intake and
distribution pipes, the bolts, if corroded, will break off. If you
don't replace ALL of the hoses and gaskets (some are behind the water
pump under the intake) then you will not cure all of the leaks.
Replacing the water pump is just "insurance" while you are in there
besides if it's the origional 20 year old pump how long is it going to
last anyway? The belts and idler bearings are easy to replace also and
to make the cooling system "bulletproof" change the header bottle to
metal, add the self bleeder, and install the Fanzilla. A new otterstat
switch and seal completes the job. Make sure you have the larger sized
circuit breaker for the cooling fans and that they both run and blow
in the correct direction. When you finish and leak test make sure to
keep a 50%50 mix of anti-freeze ALWAYS. Besides the electrical system
the cooling system is a "weak link". Going over the system in this
manner with all of these mods will make it as reliable as any modern
car.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757