Re: Alternator Question!

You are right, I stand corrected. The rear defogger as it is is
supposed to have a timer. I must admit though I can't tell if it is
timming out, on my car the light stays on as long as the switch is on
and I always hit it with my elbow! If not for the light I woudn't know
I had it on and if the heater does go on and off the light doesn't.
Maybe my timer relay is defective, I never checked it out. I have
observed that on cars with a sloped rear window they tend to fog up
faster and more often, the more slope the worse the condition. In the
Delorean the rear window is almost vertical and so does not fog up as
fast. Maybe the engine heat also has something to do with it. In any
case by limiting the duty cycle of the biggest load (short of the
starter) it limits the peak load imposed on the system. IMHO if you
can't get by with the 90 amp Motorola and you have not measureably
added to the car's electrical load then the battery probably has lost
some of it's capacity or maybe you are stopping and starting the motor
too often and not fully recharging the battery. Cars were meant to be
used on a regular basis and a battery loses a small percentage of it's
charge every day. If not a daily driver then the battery is usually
chronically undercharged. Don't forget we also deal with a very
complicated and leaky courtesy light circuit with all of those diodes
and the clock (although a small draw they are all cumulative). By
putting a larger output alternater on the car that can create more
electical power at a lower rpm you can't get something for nothing. It
will cause a larger drag on the motor at low rpm's and could possibly
affect the idle quality. Putting a smaller pulley on it besides having
the effect of spinning the alternater faster at low rpm's also reduces
the mechanical advantage the motor has increasing again the load on
the motor. Beware of "improvements" that have not stood the test of
time and have been thourghly engineered.