Re: [DML] Fuel tank cleaning/removal

> Hello List,
> I am replacing my fuel distributor and cleaning the injectors etc but
> have not started the car yet. Since my car sat I would like to pull the
tank
> out and clean it. How do I go about cleaning it?

David!

When I removed my tank, it looked really ugly inside: yellow, brown,
gunky...
The rubber from the fuel pump duct was so badly dissolved that it was
dripping inside the tank! It was really a mess.
Half a day long, I tried scraping away the gunk but it was so sticky that
much of it remained in there.

Out of desperation, I filled the tank halfway with water, then poured in
plenty of washing pouder. I stirred well, and let it sit for a day or two.
With a hard brush, I was then able to clean everything out without a problem
(except for squeezing my arm through the opening :-)
After that, I washed out the tank MANY times with fresh water, to be sure
that there is no more washing powder in there and dried the tank thorougly.

It looks like new now!

hope this helps,

Ralf
VIN 10284