Re: Fuel tank cleaning/removal

You can get the tank out by working it from the back of the tank out
first (the narrow end). The front of the tank (wider part) is wedged
in and has a lip under it (where the tank shield sits on). Remove the
coolant lines, don't spread them apart. They are made of aluminum and
can/will fracture if bent. The rear of the tank has to go down first
then you need the slide the tank out a little for the front of the
tank to clear that lip. I did it just by pounding the top of the tank
with the palm of my hand. Try not to use anything sharp to pry the
tank out with, you could puncture the plastic tank.

You don't really have to remove the tank to clean it out. Go to your
local auto store and get a gas pump and pump the rest of the fuel out
and then go to Home Depot and get a can of Acetone and some rubber
chemical resistive gloves. Use the Acetone on a rag and wipe the tank
out, your arm can fit into the fuel pump opening. VERY IMPORTANT:
Make sure you wear the chemical resistive gloves because your skin
will absorb the acetone and make you very ill...absorb enough of it
and it can cause blood poisoning.

To remove the fuel baffle it's fairly simple. Remove the one nut that
is on the stud in the tank very carefully. That will release the fuel
baffle. To get it out of there you'll need to remove the wire
retainers remove the plastic baffle bottom (snaps off) and squeeze
the plastic baffle together to get it through the fuel pump opening.
While you have it out, inspect the Fuel pump screen, if there are any
tears in it replace it. Allot of cars didn't come with the baffle
bottom so if you don't have one, now's a good time to order one and
install it. It keeps water and debris from the pump screen. It helps
if you have the shop manual.

Hope this helped.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hello List,
> I am replacing my fuel distributor and cleaning the injectors
etc but I
> have not started the car yet. Since my car sat I would like to
pull the tank
> out and clean it. How do I go about cleaning it? I removed the
pump, and
> the tank really doesnt look that bad inside but the gas has a
orange/yellow
> tint to it with a few small particles on the bottom of the tank. I
will also
> be replacing some of the fuel hoses running to the back. does the
tank need
> to be professionally cleaned? How do I go about removing some of
the
> components inside the tank? any help would be greatly
appreciated.
> I have the tank shield removed but I can not get the tank to
come out.
> The fuel pump and filler line is removed and the tank is empty.
any ideas?