Re: Fuel tank cleaning/removal

If the tank is not too dirty you can wipe it out without removing it
from the car. It is not easy to remove and hard to replace. With the
fuel sender and fuel pump removed suck out all of the gas and air it
out. Remove the fuel pickup and baffle and if you have a long skinny
arm and a stick with a rag on the end you should be able to do a good
job. If the residue is sticky or there is a lot of sludge then the
tank should be taken out to a shop. Remove the lower plate and stand
on the tank with your foot and with steady pressure at the rear
downward it will come out. To remove the baffle there is a nut on a
stud attached to the bottom of the tank. Be gentle or you can break
the stud loose. The baffle has to be partialy disassembled to remove
and then by bending it and pulling through the fuel pump hole. It can
be left inside while the tank is cleaned if you can't figure it out.
Don't forget to flush the lines and replace the fuel filter. Unless
the fuel distributer is causing a problem don't replace it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757