Re: Alternator Question!

On most cars the alternater is sized to cover the electric rear
defogger plus about 50% more thats how much of a load it is. The
alternater is not expected to cover the entire load of the vehicle,
the battery is meant to cover some of the peak load. The logic of
this
is that peak load is not continuos load so after peak load subsides
the alternater can recharge the battery. The worst case load is
nightime, hot humid with light drizzle because the wipers, lights,
defrost a/c, rear defogger is on. Under most conditions that doesn't
happen too often. On most cars (not Deloreans) the rear defogger is
shut off by a timer to keep it from running constantly. Maybe that is
a good area to improve, adding a timer to the defogger instead of
increasing the alternater. The origional Ducy was way undersized
which
caused many of the origional problems but the motorola is a better
match. Be careful in changing the pulley sizes. In some cases it is
possible to overspeed the alternater at high engine rpm's and cause
the rotor to explode, they are only rated to spin so fast you know.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Scott, Your correct that the car will only take what it needs as
long
> as the source can deliver. My builder told me that he test at 2000
(
> Factory 3000 ) rpm, 100amp fixed load, ( factory 80 amp load )and
he
Fans= 28 to 30amps