Re: Alternator Question!

Scott, Your correct that the car will only take what it needs as long
as the source can deliver. My builder told me that he test at 2000 (
Factory 3000 ) rpm, 100amp fixed load, ( factory 80 amp load )and he
cranckes up a variable load on top of the fixed load till the
alternator reaches 13 volts. Lower RPM and all comes down in
proporation. That's also why we use a smaller pully for a faster spin
at lower rpm. Original used a small also. At that point 150 amps +/-.
I can't tell you exact, but here is what my builder told me this
morning.
Current draw ( average ): 12vdc
AC Compressor--16 to 18 amps
Wire resistance for compressor add about 20%+ 3.5 amps
De Lorean Cooling Fans= 28 to 30amps
Head lamps depending on dim or bright=10-15 amps
Battery to charge and to keep hot=20-30amps,you can charge as low 3v.
Other,Resistance in wire all over + radio,dome,door=5amps.
On the low side the total is 82.5 amps
On the high side the total is 101.5
As we all know most all these thing may not be on at the same time. I
have not tested all this but it was just a quik summation. Now factor
in heat and how much does it drop. Watch how your gauge,up and down,
hot weather to cold weather, idle to running, loaded to unloaded and
cold alt in morn to hot after running a while. The idea as I see it
is to keep the needle above 13 volts as much as you can in the worst
case. I think DMCJOE said something about 11 or 12 volts a while back
before you start running other trouble. I'll let him expound on that
if he wants to. But:Texas heat, 95 Degree out side, crusing stop and
go at low RPM at night with lights on and air on. That's about the
worst.
If you look at the shop manual, I don't think there is any way to
meet the spec. Oh. and they are talking at 68 degree.
John

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller@xxxx> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the alternator will only produce the
amount of
> current that the car requires. The rating 105 Amp or 150 Amp is
the maximum
> rated current for the alternator. I am curious though, how much
current can
> the wiring handle between the alternator and the battery?
>
> Scott Mueller
> DOA/DMCNEWS
> 002981

DMC Joe.
> > Mr. Hervey now offers one with even a higher output (150 I
believe it was)

> > My question is:
> > Is it advisable to replace the original alternator with one with
a much
> > higher output than the original one?
> >
> > Is there a "limit" as to how high output should be in the
DeLorean?