Re: Cold engine and smoke and gas problem, continued

Re: Cold engine and smoke and gas problem, continued

If the mixture is SLIGHTLY out of adjustment it would have a major
effect on the gas mileage and not affect the idle quality. The only
way to properly adjust the fuel mixture unit is to hook the engine up
to an exhaust gas analyzer. The bad sound you hear I am taking a wild
guess is the bearings in the idler pulleys by the air conditioning
compresser. To test this guess take off the belt and run the motor for
a minute. If the sound goes away change the bearings, it's not
difficult. Condition is not predicated on mileage although it does
have an effect, low mileage cars sometimes need more work to get them
roadworthy than a well maintained higher mileage car. I have seen VERY
low mileage cars without recalls, origional fan relay, rotten battery,
sludge for brake fluid, slime for anti-freeze, shoe polish for
gasoline, you get the picture. The car was purchesed new driven
alittle and then "stored" until it is worth a fortune. While it may
not have any interior wear and the outside has no dings it will take a
lot of "love" and tender care and EXPENSIVE PARTS to get it reliable.
A car such as described is a good candidate for concours without alot
of work but to be a reliable driver is a long way away. Sadly people
with a car to sell such as this want top dollar when in reality
depending on how much you can do yourself you could spend $5000. on
it. I know it's hard to believe but if you don't prepare for it and
budget the money and do all of the work the car will disappoint you
regularly when it doesn't get you home. No matter how good it looks on
the outside it is still 20 years old.( sometimes so is the gas, brake
fluid, anti-freeze, heck you get the picture again).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 it didn't have 20 year old gas but everything else probably
was! including the windshield washer fluid, did it stink!

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Joe Palatinus <jpalatinus@xxxx> wrote:
> I have been trying to solve my 15 miles to the gallon problem for
quite
> some time. My frequency valve operates normal, (After a quick
drive
> around the block I hear the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ugh
buzzzzzzzzzzzz...) but