Re: Tow Dolly v. Car Carrier

On the subject of transporting a car in a trailer I have some
interesting info. I have trailered my car to Ohio twice. The first
time though I had a lot of trouble with sway. At first I thought it
was the hitch so I got rid of the one I had with a sway snubber and
got a Reese equalizing hitch with sway contol. It helped but did not
solve the problem completly especially when being passed by a semi.
Then I relalized that the weight was all wrong. As we all know the
engine is in the rear so the trailer started swinging like a pendelum
with the engine way back there. At first I tried different positions
in the trailer essentially moving it foward. I didn't get good results
so I tried something drastic. I backed the car into the trailer and
all of a sudden everything behaved! I have also marked the floor so I
can keep it in it's sweet spot and I also cross the straps front and
rear. I have an automatic so I leave it in park, no e brake. In an
accident the brakes won't stop it from moving only the straps. MAKE
SURE that the hold-downs you attach the straps to are SECURELY
fastened to the frame of the trailer not just the floor. There's a
reason in the movie it was backed into the trailer!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757