Re: [DML] Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)

Re: [DML] Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)

>My question is to Walter
>Have you seen Curtis Car and were you at the show when we awarded the
Charles
>Mufley Award. If so any comments.

I'm pretty new to the Delorean scene (as of Feb '00) and have only been to a
show in Georgia and a few local things. I plan on going to some of the big
shows in the future. It probably will be next year before I can get the
time.

My idea of starting this thread was somewhat motivated by sarcasm since it
seems that so many people want to have their daily drivers judged in the
concours. But on a more serious note, I really would like to see some sort
of contest that would motivate people to put their daily drivers in
appropriate shows leaving the trailer queens to the concours.

Have a contest that rewards for improvements and penalizes for broken items.
That is probably what the Charles Muffley Award and the People's Choice is
already about. If not, then I would like to see a daily driver contest that
is just that. The car has to be driven to the event and a certain amount of
road grime and dust from the trip is expected and allowed. If the car looks
like it is never driven, then it probably isn't and could be disqualified.
We would make a list of categories that would have a minimum/maximum point
award/deduction for various attributes about the car. For example
concerning the radio, I propose the following score:
-2 = a hole in the dash
-1 = an original Craig/ASI radio that is broken
0 = a working OEM setup
+1 = a reasonably cheap aftermarket replacement
+2 = a very high quality stereo system.

I suggest deductions or low scores for things that seem gaudy, unnecessary
or excessive. For example, a bad stereo installation having speakers
mounted in distracting locations, a cut steering wheel, flux capacitor,
flames painted on the fenders, etc. This would help stop the contest from
favoring whoever spent the most money on needless things.

I suggest extra points for upgraded items that show ingenuity and quality of
workmanship. A missing rear view mirror would get a low score vs. a well
installed electro-chromatic mirror that would get a high score. Of course
an OEM mirror in good condition would get a score of zero -- neither good
nor bad.

I realize that this sort of contest would be very hard to judge fairly and
consistently from show to show and from car to car. But I think the best
way to handle it is to make up some of the rules as you go along and base
future judgings on past precedents, just like the legal system (Roe vs. Wade
for example.) I know this could start a lot of red tape, but then look at
the Concours D'Elegance.

In summary, may the best upgraded, functional, useable, practical Delorean
win the contest!

Walt Tampa, FL