Re:Was NCT's in Concours Now Safety

In concours safety is not the primary issue, origionality and
authenticity is. If safety was important then why are the rules
looking for the origional fan circuit breakers, door module, fan fail
relay, plastic coolant bottle and on and on. Some cars have burnt to
death because of some of these "origional" parts. Tires should be the
least of your safety concerns. I know of no posts to this list or any
owner complaints because their 20 year old NCT's failed them a la
firestone-bridgestone. If ANYONE can say that they had an NCT tire
fail them please post to the list.(Not just a flat or hitting a curb).
As far as tires in a concours with all things being equal the car with
the NCT's should get more points.In some concours for other makes if
you have the "recalled" rims on your car you get more points and it is
really hard to get those rims and they are EXPENSIVE, let safety be
dammed. In other concours there are no point deductions for safety
related items such as seat belts, safety glass, or turn signals. This
all comes down to "He who has the GOLD writes the rules". If you don't
agree with the rules as they exist either accept them the way they are
or if enough people care then we can change them. I for one would like
to see more standardization with other associations like the AACA so
that we will be able to compete in their concours without rebuilding
the car or comprimising safety.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, kkoncelik@xxxx wrote:
> Tires break down in various ways. The most common is UV degredation
which
> takes its toll on rubber. The cracking and crazing is a result of
that and
> if you keep the car outside in sunlight it will deteriorate faster.
There are
> dressings you can put on your tires that will block UV and help
preserve the
> tires and keep them from "Dry Rot". I also cover the tires when not
in use
> further blocking UV light.
> I have a friend at Firestone ( He is looking for another job) and he
> indicated that if properly stored the tires can last many many years
(beyond
> 20). But no matter what you do the tires will still deteriorate at
some rate.

> I have a car with 5,000 miles on it and the NCT's are original.
They are in