Re: John DeLorean & reliability

There are already a number of much more experienced people than myself that
have said what I had to say, however:
1.
I suggest you buy some of the books about the DeLorean to get a better
understanding of how the car came about. (Go to alibris.com, click on "More
search options", type in DeLorean in the "Any word(s)" block and you will
find an ample listing of available used books. None are still in print.)
2.
Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of design and manufacturing start up
of a complex and for its day sophisticated product is amazed over how John
DeLorean pulled it off in such a short time! If the DeLorean had had a normal
life cycle with several design versions, properly tested, it would
undoubtedly have become a truly fantastic car. (Compare it for example to a
Porsche 911 with a design cycle of almost 40 years, with a large number of
design improvements. Is that a more reliable car today? (I have a 1971 911T
and that one is certainly not any more reliable than the D!)
3.
There are a few people out there that bought their D new and still use it!
Most of us today are probably the 2nd, 3rd or whatever owner and still love
the car, all for their own reasons.
4.
Who buys a 20 year old car in the first place? Yes, some are probably just
infatuated, but most appear to be genuinely interested in owning and caring
for a truly unique car.
5.
Is it a "super car"? Opinions may differ, but in my opinion it is.
In the January 2001 issue of Sports Car there is an article titled "Saleen
Supercar Shocker". Yes, it looks snazzier than the DeLorean, but there is a
resemblance in lines as well as design innovations and yes, it does have a
550 HP engine, however, it IS advertised as a Daily Driver -- with a price
tag of $375,000! Will it be more reliable than the DeLorean? Will any number
of them be around and driven 20 years from now? With spare parts and
technical support available? Not likely!
6.
Comparing a DeLorean to a Chevy Vega is both an anachromism and ludicrous!
(I bought a Vega for my wife years ago and that clap trap tincan was by far
the worst car I have ever owned!)
7.
I have had a number of different sports cars over the years and raced and
rallied some of them. All were fun but finicky, one way or another. None were
particularily comfortable. I still have a couple that I will part with
without hesistation, if the offer is reasonable. My DeLorean I'll keep!

Roger
VIN 1074