Re: [DML] Re: oil filters - which one for a D?

Re: [DML] Re: oil filters - which one for a D?

I would like to add one technique that has served me well over the years.
Always store an engine after it has been driven to full operating
temperature. A ten mile (or more) drive in the summer is ideal. Starting
an engine cold produces a lot of water as a byproduct of combustion (ever
notice the water running out the tail pipe?) If the engine is not brought
to full temperature so that all this moisture is flashed off, than it will
reside as condensation in the exhaust system and oil. Moisture in the oil
cause the oil to break down and loose its corrosion inhibiting and
lubricating abilities. It must therefore be brought up to temperature over
a long enough period of time to drive off all the moisture absorbed from the
initial startup.

Please note the destructive effect of starting a car up every week or month
but not fully bringing it to temperature. The accumulation of water and
moisture related byproducts will destroy the vehicle despite one's best
intentions. The same is true of the brake fluids, however changing them is
probably the easiest way of getting the moisture out as there is no really
efficient way to heat and flash off the absorbed moisture.

FYI: I have a 30 year old Jaguar XKE that has had the oil changed twice
(every ten years). The oil in it is now ten years old and I just checked
it. It smells and looks like new. If I were to run it for only a few
moments and than check it in a month I am sure the oil would be rancid and
ruined, and the exhaust system well on its way to rusting out.

On a similar note, Fuel also absorbs moisture. It is best to have the fuel
tank as full as possible when storing. Ideal would be to have the fuel up
into the filler neck for the least contact area to the atmosphere. Also the
tank will breath less when full and this will keep down the water
absorption. Stabul (sp?) fuel additive helps combat the ill effects of
modern "oxygenated" fuels, which are quite unstable over time, and will
break down without the added stress of atmospheric moisture.

Hope this experience is helpful. I just cringe when I hear of people
starting their cars every week as a way of keeping them preserved.

Don Ekhoff