Re: [DML] Protecting your D...

Richard,

This has been discussed a few weeks ago on the DML. The quote that I like
best was from someone who said something to the effect of, "Have you seen a
Delorean? Yeah, it went that way." These cars are not anything that you
can go around town in and not be noticed. I had a guy stop me by the door
of a restaurant that I frequent asking me if I was the guy with the
Delorean. And I didn't even drive the Delorean that day!

I think that it would be a cool idea at future Delorean shows to have a
video camera filming people getting in and out of their cars. We could have
contests to see who looks the coolest while doing this. So many people
watch me open & close those doors that I sometimes feel self conscious. (Is
my hair straight, is my fly open, do my socks match?). It's almost like
waving a big stainless steel flag every time you open a door.

I would think that if anyone stole a Delorean, they would have to be very
familiar with what they are getting into. I've watched passengers get in
and out of mine. It's rather funny watching them try to figure out how to
open the door from the inside. If the average person has trouble figuring
out how to get in and out of the car, I can imagine the trouble that some
idiot would have trying to steel one. And if he got away with it, someone
somewhere would recognize the car or even parts from the car. I can
describe just about every little imperfection in the body of mine.

About using a club... I don't normally put one on my Delorean because I've
used one (the Club brand) on another car with a leather steering wheel, and
it damaged the leather on the wheel. Somehow the vinyl or plastic or
whatever the stuff is has managed to scuff the leather. I'm not sure how it
did this, but it has done it in several places. I think it has something to
do with the rubbery club parts sticking to the leather and then having the
hot sun and gravity pull the club down once it has gripped the leather.
Before I put a club on my D again, I'm going to cover the rubber pieces with
a felt sleeve.

Walt Tampa, FL