NJ "Collector" class (WAS: Catalytic converters)

NJ "Collector" class (WAS: Catalytic converters)

I recently registered 2 of my cars under the new "Collector" class in New
Jersey.

After going through the process, I cant say that it is of any benefit to us.

1. The cost is $25 (In addition to your regular registration)
2. You still have to go to Inspection, and wait for them to get to you (I spent
45 min waiting)
3. They (only) check your odometer, and you are limited to 2000 miles a year.

After speaking with the people at the Freehold and Eatontown inspection
stations, they said that cars older than 1984 DO NOT get tested on the Dyno.
They instead use the old idle method.

While my "modified" car will pass the idle test, I tend to get a lot of
questions about missing components.. For the past 7 years playing dumb has
always worked to get me through. The one advantage is that there will be no
questions with the "Collector" registration.

Meanwhile, NJDMV is not clear on the penalty for going over 2K miles a year. If
I drive to Memphis in 2002 there is a good chance I will exceed that 2K limit.

So now, after the fact, I question if it was a good move or not. I keep bugging
my insurance company that there should be a discount on a car with this new type
of registration, but in NJ all insurance is regulated buy the state... Needless
to say, there will be no discount!

YMMV!

<SNIP>